The main part of this temple follows Taoism style. The temple is divided into a front hall (Sanchuan halls), a show stage, a main hall, two corridors and an auditorium at the back of the temple. Goddess Mazu is placed in the center of the main hall. To the left of Goddess Mazu is Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, and to the right is Narcissus king. At the dragon side (the right side of the temple) is a newly-built bell-drum tower. Wenchang Emperor (located in the Wenchang hall) and God of Taisui Star (located in the Taisui hall) and Caishen (God of Wealth), are placed for worship. At the tiger side (the left side of the temple) is also a newly-built bell-drum tower, The Chenghuang (Xai Hai City God) and Guanshengdijun (GuanYu), Tudigong (The Earth God), The Tiger General , Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva and Kaishan Spirit Tablets (located in the hall of kaishan), and the hall of Matchmaking God. Are also placed for worship.
Miracles made by the Goddess Mazu
In 1884, Sino-French War broke out. French troops invaded Tamsui. Commander-in-Chief Sun Kai-Hua prayed to Goddess Mazu for protection. Owing to the immediate assistance from Goddess Mazu, the French troops were defeated. In 1886, Governor Liu Ming-Chuan drew up a petition asking Emperor Guangxu for a plaque. Subsequently, a plaque of "翌天昭佑" was bestowed by Emperor Guangxu, which is currently hung in the center of the temple. On March 21st of the lunar year of 1972, a follower of this temple, named Chang Shui-yuan went offshore to catch fish with his colleagues. After casting his net, they suddenly felt the boat shaking violently. Looking at each other with panic, they were forced return. When hauling in the net, they obtained Bodhisattva in the net and placed it in this temple. At midnight the whole temple suddenly shook. In the front of Bodhisattva Guanyin, light bulbs for the whole day and night. The followers received a message from Mazu that flickered all the Gods and Goddesses in this temple were welcoming Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva .
Horizontal Inscribed Board
An old plaque with words "翌天昭佑" was hung in the center of the main shrine. It was awarded by Emperor Guangxu. In 1884 the Sino-French War extended to Tamsui. Commander-in-Chief Sun Kai-Hua asked Mazu for help. When he looked up at the clouds, it seemed that Goddess Mazu took command of the war. The Sino troops were strengthened and defeated the French troops. Later, Governor Liu Ming-Chuan informed Emperor Guangxu of the event. Subsequently, this temple was awarded a plaque inscribed with the words ''翌天昭佑''. and a tablet pedestal with the words ''皇帝萬歲萬萬歲''. They served as a sign of receiving messages from the Emperor. These two antiques are greatly treasured by this temple.
A relic of the first lighthouse in Taiwan.A stone tablet inscription of Wang Kau Building.
During the reign of Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty, Tamsui harbor was very prosperous. A number of boats regularly came in and out of the harbor. However, mariners had no navigational instruments. When encountered with bad weather, especially at night, boats were likely to get lost or have accidents. The abbot of this temple decided to raise funds to build the Wang Kau Building at one of the Youchekou areas called "False Harbor''. In January 1796, a stone tablet was erected, in which the intention and process of the construction was described. Some workers were hired to guard the building and to provide directions to boats that came in and out of the harbor. During the night, oil lamps were lit as a guide for boats to get into the harbor safely. Boats coming into and out of the harbor were required to pay a fee. Part of the money collected was used to pay the workers and the rest was donated to the temple. Wang Kau Building, as its name suggests, means being able to see high buildings from a distance. This is the oldest lighthouse in Taiwan’s written history. Moreover, it is rare since it is a privately-built lighthouse.
It was said that during World War II Japanese troops for the purpose of building combat forts, used a large number of stones left by the ruins of Wang Kau Building, This led to the complete disappearance of this stone-built lighthouse. The stone tablet inscription of Wang Kau Building has been placed on the interior wall of the tiger side in the front hall of the temple.
Wall inscription about the Wang Kau cairn
The president of the association of the naval route of Hô-bé is raising funds to erect a crain at the north-west of the port of Tam-kang. The reason is to avoid the wrecking of ships on the cliffs of the false port near Shalung when they arrive at Hô-bé on dark nights when it is impossible to distinguish the false port from the true one.
The chief of the Rou Yo proposes to impose a right of passage of 16 yin of silver to cover the wages of one worker and the cost of supplies needed for the proper functioning of the cairn, in addition every foreign ship would pay 4 cheng of copper upon arrival to the port. We hope the project will be realized so that ships on the route to Hô-bé will reach the port with no difficulty. January 1st of the Empire of Chia Ching (1796)